Photography by Dan Engongoro
- 2 cup flour
- 1 stick margarine
- 1 egg
- ½ oz fresh yeast or ¾ Tbs dry yeast
- ½ cup warm apple juice
- 1 Tbs sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 large onion
- 4 oz canned mushrooms, drained
- 1 lb frozen vegetable (peas, carrots, corn, lima beans, string beans)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ Tbs onion soup mix
Dissolve yeast in apple juice, set aside until it bubbles, combine remaining ingredients in mixer, adding yeast to the mixture last. Mix until it becomes a soft dough, divide dough in half. Cover and let rise ½ hour
- In a medium skillet, sauté onion until soft and golden.
- Add mushrooms and brown another two minutes.
- In a 4 quart pot, cook frozen vegetables according to package directions.
- Drain and add the sauteed vegetables, mayonnaise, eggs and onion soup mix.
- Using a hand blender, pulse vegetables into fine pieces (not creamy).
- Preheat oven to 375
- Roll out one piece of dough into a 12’’ circle
- Cut into 8 pieces
- Place 1 tsp of filling in the center of each triangle
- Roll up starting from the outer edge-( rugalach style)
*pinch ends tightly to make sure filling stays in Repeat with remaining dough. Bake on parchment lined cookie sheets- approximately 20 minutes until golden.
Prepare a mixture of:
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 Tbs parsley flakes
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic
While croissants are still warm brush on mixture with pastry brush.
This Article by EstherO. originally appeared in Mishpacha Magazine.