7 Layer Matzah Cake (Gebrokts)
This Pesach treat has been a family tradition for at least three generations. Coming from a German/Ashkenaz background, this has always been our favorite Gebrokts dessert. (Actually, my sisters who married "non-brokters" always ask that we save them a piece for after Passover!) Matzah soaked in wine, layered with luscious, creamy chocolate.... this simple recipe is bound to become your family favorite as well.
What you will need:
- 7 square matzahs
- sweet red wine
- chocolate cream
- 4 squares Rosmarie parve chocolate
- 4 sticks margarine
- 8 oz. baking chocolate
- 2 yolks
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp coffee diluted in 2 Tbsp hot water
- 1 cup regular sugar
- Melt the chocolate and margarine in the microwave or in a double boiler.
- Place remaining ingredients in the bowl of your mixer and mix.
- Add melted chocolate and mix till combined.
- Place cream in the refrigerater for 2 hours until firm.
- Place 1-2 cups of wine in a bowl, large enough to fit a Matzah (I use a disposable 9x13 pan.)
- Soak one matzah in wine for a few seconds.
- Smear matzah with chocolate cream.
- Repeat with each matzah.
- Create chocolate shavings for garnishing by "peeling" the chocolate with a peeler-optional
- Freeze cake and remove from freezer 10-15 minutes before serving.